Safety Tips and Reminders for Travelling Surfers
Surf travel is the best way to develop your surfing skills. The experience of surfing in different locations all over the globe brings about a great feeling of getting stoked. An unfamiliar beach in a remote location far away from the local beach where you always ride the waves will allow you to learn and develop your surfing techniques.
If you want to learn how to surf through travelling you need to be more than prepared. Doing surf travel entails more than just packing your boards and riding off the plane to the coastal areas of the pacific. You need to be more detail oriented when it comes to preparing for your trip. Here are some of the “before the surf trip” reminders you need to follow:
- Secure a travel insurance policy. Whether it is for a month or a year, you need to get a travel insurance policy that will cover the whole duration of your trip. Inspect the policy thoroughly and make sure that it INCLUDES surfing.
- Get the necessary immunization requirements. Some countries do not allow entry to foreigners if they don’t have the specific required immunization. Research on the place that you want to visit and check with a travel clinic if you need shots or additional immunizations.
- Visit your dentist. Paying a visit to your dentist before a travel is a requirement that most of us tend to ignore. If you’ll be staying for a long time abroad, checking your dental health is a must.
- DO NOT FORGET to bring with you your prescription drugs, especially if you have allergies or chronic illness. Bring enough medicine that will last for the duration of your trip.
This before the trip reminders are preparation tips that you need to follow in order for you to not face any kind of medical emergency. It’s always better to be safe than sorry.
Other Things That You Might Needs
Being prepared for the trip always entails taking extra precaution. After crossing off the list above from your pre-departure things to do, here is a list of some of the stuff that you need to bring with you on your surf trip:
- First Aid Kit – The most basic thing that a surfer should always carry with him is a kit that contains antiseptics and dressings for cuts. A small and handy first aid kit will suffice; just keep in mind to re-stock items if needed.
- Sunblock – A high SPF sunblock is a necessary item for all surfers. You can also buy this from local surf shops once you reach your destination.
- Mosquito Repellents – Sprays and creams that will help you get away from insect and mosquito bites will save you from malaria. Do not forget to bring repellents with you. Ask for them from your doctor before your trip.
- Check if the water is SAFE to drink – Waters from an unknown location might give you digestive problems. Before drinking up, ask first if they are safe to drink.
Be safe in your surfing adventures! If you happen to be in Australia, you can visit Surf & Sun and we will give you the best South Australian surfing experience you’ll never forget!