Choosing the right board February 24, 2013
Having the right board is so very important in surfing. There are also so many factors to take into account including:
- Your body size/shape
- Your Ability
- The waves you are surfing (i.e. a board for surf lessons Middleton will not necessarily work for waves in Indo)
- The size of waves
- The distance you have to paddle to get to the wave
- The type of wave
- The heaviness of the wave
Most experienced surfers have a range of surfboards in their quiver. Many quivers would include some or all of the following:
- Fish - great for fat and small surf
- Short board - great for medium sized hollow waves
- Semi Gun - for barrelling waves that are reasonable in size
- Gun - for the larger days when you want a lot of speed and be able to get to your feet later
- Malibu - for the really small days or for fat waves (also good for all types of waves if a Mal is your preferred choice of board)
- Softie - great for learner family, friends etc to have a go on
- SUP - Stand up Paddle Board for the small and flat days (unless it becomes your thing!). Here is a tutorial on how to do SUP in a right way.
Choosing the right surfboard is so important - it really deserves alot of research. Try as many boards as you can - see which ones you like. Get advice from a reputable surf shop or surf school.
When you get the right board - surfing can be so much more enjoyable and your surfing can improve dramatically.
See you in the water!