How to improve your surfing when you cannot make it to the beach
22 November, 2023
Surfing is a sport that requires regular practice to improve one's skills. However, not everyone lives close to the beach, and it can be challenging to find the time and means to travel to the ocean.
Fortunately, there are several ways to improve your surfing skills even when you cannot make it to the beach.
Here are six tips that can help surfers improve their skills while staying away from the ocean.
- Physical training. Surfing requires great core strength and balance, which can be developed through various exercises such as yoga, pilates, and calisthenics. Practicing these workouts regularly can help surfers maintain their physical condition and improve their stability, enabling them to better execute maneuvres on a surfboard.
- Watch instructional videos online. There are hundreds of surfing tutorial videos available on the internet that can help surfers learn new moves and techniques. These videos usually feature experienced surfers who break down specific maneuvres and explain how to execute them correctly. By watching and learning from these videos, surfers can improve their skills and even discover new surfing moves that they can practice in the future.
- Practice surf-related activities such as skateboarding and wakeboarding. These sports provide similar sensations to surfing and can help surfers develop their balance and coordination skills. By regularly engaging in these activities, surfers can develop muscle memory and improve their ability to transition between different surfing maneuvres.
- Analyse and critique. Recording yourself while practicing on a balance board or skateboarding can help you identify areas where improvement is needed. Studying footage of professional surfers while trying to emulate their techniques can also help surfers improve their own maneuvres.
- Mental training. Surfing is as much a mental sport as it is a physical one. By practicing visualisation techniques, surfers can improve their confidence and focus, which are essential to performing better. Visualisation techniques involve imagining themselves in a surf session and mentally performing maneuvres while considering environmental factors.
- Practice good nutritional habits. Eating a balanced diet, staying hydrated, and getting enough sleep allow surfers to maintain good physical condition and mental focus. Consuming fish oils, protein, and antioxidants can also help improve body functions that influence surfing performance.
- Smooth Star Skateboards - the absolute best thing to do to improve your surfing when you are not able to head into the water. We can't speak highly enough of them.
There are several ways for surfers to improve their skills without going to the beach. Whether it's through physical training, instructional videos, practicing surf-related activities, analysing surfing footage, mental training, or maintaining good nutritional habits, each method offers advantages that can positively affect your surfing ability. It's important for aspiring surfers to take these things seriously to ensure that they are best prepared when they hit the beach and make the most of their experience.
You might also like these posts